If you are currently sea kayaking and want to up-skill, or you are thinking about becoming a guide or instructor, this is the course for you.
What you’ll learn:
- Group control
- Advanced paddle technique
- Coaching skills to struggling paddlers
- Fastpacking and faster camping
- Managing a group launching through waves (surf permitting)
- Kayak support strokes
- Steering with your paddle
- Edging or railing your kayak to gain more control
- Towing and advanced support skills at sea
- Advanced rescue skills
- Navigation and weather
- Crisis management skills
- Camping skills
- Night and adverse weather group management
- Advanced scenarios helping to test your new abilities
To excel at anything you need input, well get ready for input overload.
Over two days we will push the limits of your ability to control your sea kayak and get the best out of your body. Developing your ability to recognise potential risk and managing it early is crucial to good group management. And then if it goes all wrong how to fix it.
Scenarios will be challenging and will require you to take charge and use the skills taught earlier.
This is a wet course with loads of challenge and laughter.
OutdoorsMark is a national outdoor safety audit
programme designed by the New Zealand outdoors
community for the New Zealand outdoors community.